Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chapter One Reflection

1b. On page 10 of this reading assignment, Tomlinson says, “… we teach responsively when we understand the need to teach the human beings before us as well as to teach the content with which we are charged. … [It] is important to begin with the conviction that we are no longer teaching if what we teach is more important than who we teach or how we teach.” What does this mean to you?

I really liked this comment from the book. One of the most important things to remember and really understand about being a teacher is that we are teaching students! So often teachers get caught up in teaching content that students get left behind or simply don't get much out of school. My goal as a future educator is to teach to the students. While it is important to teach content, obviously, it should never overshadow who I am teaching. I love the reminder the author gives that we are no longer teaching if we forget WHO we are teaching.

I am looking forward to learning all there is about differentiation and how I can teach to all different kinds of students in an effective manner.

1 comment:

  1. When do I cease to be a teacher and become just a cheap entertainer? I guess you just hit that nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete