Friday, November 27, 2009

Blog #6: So Long, Farewell!

Fall field is over and it's now time to go back to big kid school. What a great experience it has been to work at Valley View Elementary with my fourth grade class. I learned a lot about how important it is to keep the students engaged in their learning. It requires a lot of planning and practice to get to a point where teaching is easy, but I'm patient.

One thing that really became apparent is how important art is in the curriculum. The teacher I was working with didn't incorporate much art, or anything fun really, into her lessons. There were so many times the students would be bored and I would think about better ways to teach the lessons that would allow the students to get up and moving. In my classroom management class we learn that students need to do three things every day: 1.) talk, 2.) laugh, and 3.) move. Art, drama, music, etc. are great ways to allow the students to do this.

As much as I sometimes dreaded all the work required for my art class it really has taught me a lot about things I can do to make my own classroom more enjoyable for the students I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment